Each One Teach Two by Mary Colucci

The industry lost an important leader, educator and author when Jean Leinhauser passed away in 2012. Though her first career was in public relations, her passion was education. She was one of the founders of Leisure Arts. After leaving Leisure, she started the America School of Needlework with business partner Rita Weiss. It started as a school but soon turned into one of the industry’s leading publishing companies known by the acronym ASN.

Continue reading “Each One Teach Two by Mary Colucci”

Free Form Crochet Artistry with Mikey

Michael Sellick is a leading guru in the crochet world inspiring crocheters on a global scale. Mikey possesses a fun sense of humour and a natural talent to inspire, create and celebrate accomplishments with fans. He has achieved incredible success through his online community commitment to the yarn arts and social media element of the yarn industry. Michael has the ability to engage and educate consumers by teaching projects which led him to become a representative of Red Heart Yarns in 2012 as their Official Tutorial Video Host. Continue reading “Free Form Crochet Artistry with Mikey”

Yarn Bombing – You’re Invited

Who: Anyone who wants to knit or crochet an 8″ x 8″ inch square or 8″ x 16″ rectangle is invited to participate.

What: Help us take Manchester by storm and donate a knitted or crocheted square or rectangle swatch to our Yarn Bombing event. All are encouraged to participate in the event whether you are a knitter or crocheter. Not attending the conference? That’s okay too! Get your guild or chapter involved, create swatches, and follow the conference on Instagram to see images of our Yarn Bomb while we are at the show! Manchester will have a whole new appreciation for our industry after we dress the town in all of the colorful swatches! Items left at the end will be pieced together into blankets and scarves and donated to local charities. Continue reading “Yarn Bombing – You’re Invited”

Watching the Winter Olympics?

The Winter Olympics will soon have me spending many hours sitting in front of my television. I never miss the opening ceremonies and find the events amazing. I’ll be watching with pride as our US team (wearing their “Made in the USA” designer outfits by Ralph Lauren) wow us with athletic feats and exciting Olympic events. Certainly I’ll be getting out my needles or hooks as I watch. Since I need to choose a project, I was going through our website for patterns for hats, scarves and other accessories. I’m thinking that many of you will also be looking for projects to keep your hands busy while watching the Olympics…so I’m sharing some of the ideas that use “Made in the USA” yarns (so appropriate for Olympic-watching projects). Here are 14 accessories using yarns like Super Saver, Team Spirit, With Love, Super Saver Chunky, Soft and Super Soft. Red Heart has 17 yarns that are Made in the USA.

Continue reading “Watching the Winter Olympics?”

Have You Heard the Warm Up America! Story? By Guest Blogger Mary Colucci

By Mary Colucci Warm Up America! Foundation www.WarmUpAmerica.org
For those who might not know the history of the Warm Up America! program, it was the brainchild of Evie Rosen, a former yarn shop owner in Wausau, WI. In 1990, frustrated by the great need for blankets for the homeless and her inability to knit large quantities fast enough, she came up with the idea of dividing up the process and asking friends to knit and crochet small 7” by 9” sections.  Continue reading “Have You Heard the Warm Up America! Story? By Guest Blogger Mary Colucci”

Super Saver Saves the Day!

Donna Hornschemeier emailed this amazing story about Super Saver yarn to us a few days ago. She agreed to let us share it with you… Red Heart Super Saver Blacklight

“The windshield wipers on my car broke earlier in the week. Last night I took my son to a meeting. Half an hour in it started snowing. Heavily. By the time his meeting was over the cars and road were covered. Before I had left home, I had checked the weather. There was no rain or snow in the forecast. Having no other choice, I pulled out my work in progress bags and cut a couple strands of yarn I was using to make a blanket and tied it to my wipers. By pulling on the yarn a little bit each time, my wipers would engage and go through their cycle. Thanks to your Red Heart Blacklight yarn I managed to get home safely. It was a distance of about 14 miles.”

We’re proud of Super Saver Blacklight and that it was able to help Donna see her way home in the storm! It’s a relatively new multi shade of Super Saver in neons and black.

If you have an interesting story about any of the Red Heart yarns please share them in the comments. We’d love to hear about it!

My Whimsical Red Heart Chair

By Theresa (Terry) Albertson

I live on Anderson Island, a small 3 miles by 5 miles island in South Puget Sound near the Seattle-Tacoma area.

After working nearly 37 years at a large national Retail Department Store in the display/visual merchandising arena, I have retired to my many hobbies, which include caring for a dozen exotic birds, four small-active dogs, and our neighbors-the deer that come to our yard for feed and water, gardening, and of course my number one pastime-knitting.

My mom and I learned to knit together when I was just 16. It was a wonderful way to enjoy time together. I don’t throw my yarn. I pick, so I am a very fast knitter. I know it as the “Continental” knitting method.

I prefer not to follow patterns. I have found it easier to envision my own ideas, and use my knitting style to produce them. I knit everything from hats-gloves-scarves to Afghans, sweaters and cute little dolls. I have my own basic top-down raglan sleeve sweater pattern knitted on circular needles. I am able to knit almost anything with this pattern. I make a wide variety of dolls, including the iconic raggedy Ann and Andy, as well as making many dolls that look like friends and friend’s grandkids.

I had seen examples of a new fad that was called yarn-bombing. People were knitting covers for almost anything. It gave me the inspiration to knit a straight-backed chair that I got from the Good-Will store.

My first attempt was a sophisticated cover in colors that could be used as living-dining-bed-room décor. Then when I saw what I could actually do, I decided to make one specifically to enter in the Washington State Fair in September of 2013. I decided to make it much more whimsical, sort of in the Wizard of Oz feeling.

When I got it completed I worried that with the limited methods of presentation at the fair my chair might not get seen as well as it deserved. So I knitted a little corner table with a checkerboard motif and even knitted little pom-poms for checker pieces. It served as a platform for my chair. When my husband and I arrived at the fair entry area, the ladies were caught a bit off guard. They were not sure how they could show it. They indicated they could not include the table in the judging but that I could use it as a platform for the chair.

WhimsicalChairPlainChair

When the fair opened we still had not heard how my chair had done in the competition. We got to the knitting/quilting area and could not find the chair. My husband found a fair guide who when he asked about the chair she replied, “Oh the Grand Champion! It’s over here” and led us to it. I was flabbergasted to learn that my chair was the grand champion of the knitting entries and that I had actually won a monetary prize. What great fun it has been.

I used exclusively Red Heart yarn for this project for the color and value. I’m glad I did. I love Red Heart yarn!

PlainTableWhimsicalTable

TableChairSet