What are you doing for I Love Yarn Day?

What are you doing for I love yarn day?  I’ll be at Stitches East in Hartford, CT.  What a perfect place to celebrate.  People everywhere knitting and crocheting, yarn tucked safely under an arm, walking and knitting as you enjoy all the yarn goodness on the market floor.  Take the day and come share your projects, take some classes, and learn new stitches or techniques.  Come spend a few hours or the entire day with us, and don’t forget to bring a project to work on.  We have also included a discount coupon for the show floor.  We’ll be looking for you. Continue reading “What are you doing for I Love Yarn Day?”

The Olympknits by Laura Long

The Olympics officially opens today, July 27, 2012 and what better way to celebrate than by checking out The Olympknits by Laura Long featuring 18 patterns and this super fun video showing all her patterns come to life.   This amazing video features sportscaster Phil  and many of your favorite events including, weight lifting, boxing, fencing, rowing, cycling, gymnastics, synchronized swimming and more…..there’s even a streaker running through!  Enjoy – laughing out loud encouraged! 

So You Want to Be a Knit Designer

Did you know that there is actually an on-line class that you can take that teaches you how to put your terrific design ideas into words? It is called How to Say It: Pattern Writing for Knitters and is available on Craftsy, a great craft community. I took the class and was impressed by Edie Eckman’s ability to take the involved process of pattern writing and put it into a format that is very user friendly. It completely covers the process of putting a knit design into a pattern. Once you buy the class you can watch it at your own pace, and go back over it again at any time. The format allows you to ask questions of Edie and she will answer them! Fellow students can join into any discussions. Continue reading “So You Want to Be a Knit Designer”

Avenues for Creativity – Ravelry.com

At Red Heart we are all about keeping the creative juices flowing. One of our goals is to help you do the same. We not only give you hundreds of new FREE patterns each year on our site, but we like to share other avenues for inspiration. One place I like to visit is www.ravelry.com.  It doesn’t matter if you knit, crochet or just do crafts, with over 84,000 patterns there is something for everyone.  This site allows you and others to showcase your designs and offer them to others for free or a fee. You will find there are designs from many different countries too. Continue reading “Avenues for Creativity – Ravelry.com”

World Wide Knit and Crochet in Public

Have you thought about what you might do for Knit and Crochet in Public?  Grab a few friends, your knitting or crochet, a chair and enjoy a day in the park talking and sharing your work.  Knitting and crocheting in public is a great way for people to come together, share ideas and make new friends. There are so many ways groups can come together and use this to beautify an unsightly area or work together on projects for the less fortunate. Make hats & scarves for the homeless, stuffed animals and blankets for needy children, blankets and wraps for senior centers, baby items for hospital … and let’s not forget all those who have recently suffered from all the tornadoes and storms.  Most shelters, hospital and senior center are more than glad to accept your donations.   Continue reading “World Wide Knit and Crochet in Public”