Super Scarves for the Super Bowl

When you watch the Super Bowl on February 5th in Indianapolis, you might catch people wearing blue and white scarves. These were made and collected by an initiative spearheaded by the Super Bowl Host Committee to make scarves in the Indiana Colts colors (blue and white). Two of the official colors were Super Saver 385 Royal and 311 White. The committee originally wanted to receive 8,000 scarves to give to volunteers on game day, but they have surpassed that goal with over 12,000 received to date. Continue reading “Super Scarves for the Super Bowl”

Wednesday Night Stitching Challenge Albums

Thank you all for making the 2nd Season of the Wednesday Night Stitching Challenge a success.  We had an overwhelming positive response with hundreds of photos. Due to some technical issues out of our control we have been delayed in posting all of the photos. It’s the holiday season and many of you are on a constant run and may not have time to flip through all the wonderful photo’s to vote. With that in mind, we have extended voting on for the WNSC photo’s until December 30, 2011. The winners will be announced on January 9, 2012. Continue reading “Wednesday Night Stitching Challenge Albums”

A Gift that Keeps Giving…

The Craft Yarn Council has a campaign called Each One Teach Two. The idea is that if each of us teaches just two people to knit or crochet then we can soon have the whole world sharing in the joy of using needles and hooks. I love this idea! Sharing knowledge is a gift that keeps giving. If you are getting together with family and friends this Thanksgiving, what could be nicer than spending some time enjoying yarn together. (It’s a good excuse to just sit after having a big meal.) Some of my favorite memories of childhood were those sitting next to my aunt or mother learning what to do with knitting needles and crochet hooks. How lucky we are that we may be able to give others nice cozy memories and a life of creating with yarn.
Continue reading “A Gift that Keeps Giving…”

Coats & Clark Goes Hollywood in the Movie Courageous!

Several scenes of the movie Courageous (in theaters now) were filmed at our very own mill  in Albany, GA. Workers at the factory served as extras, and plant manager Bobby Boone, appeared in the film. One of the main characters in the film, Javier, plays an employee at Coats & Clark and is faced with an ethical challenge that puts him to the test. The mill offices and part of the manufacturing area are shown prominently in the film.

Continue reading “Coats & Clark Goes Hollywood in the Movie Courageous!”

Heartfelt Scarves for One Warm Coat

Red Heart is proud to be sponsoring One Warm Coat this year. As the only national nonprofit working to provide clean, gently used warm coats to those in need, we think One Warm Coat is an ideal partner for our knit and crochet community. You are wonderful at helping people in need! And there is no more perfect “partner” to a warm coat than a cozy, colorful handmade scarf. Coat drives are organized and held in communities across the country. We invite you to join Red Heart in donating scarves and gently-used coats to a One Warm Coat drive near you. Continue reading “Heartfelt Scarves for One Warm Coat”

31 Days of Giving Back

Most often in July we often think of fun in the sun, picnics, beach days and getting away from our everyday lives. If you are lucky enough to have a little extra time this summer, it’s also a good time to think about those who could use your help. As knitters and crocheters, we are blessed with talents that allow us to give the gift of handmade items. Look at our calendar to see ways you can make a difference. Continue reading “31 Days of Giving Back”

World Wide Knit and Crochet in Public

Knitting and crocheting in public is a great way for people to come together, share ideas and make new friends. There are so many ways groups can come together and use this to beautify an unsightly area or work together on projects for the less fortunate. Make hats & scarves for the homeless, stuffed animals and blankets for needy children, blankets and wraps for senior centers, baby items for hospital … and let’s not forget all those in the Midwest who have recently suffered from the horrific storms.  Most shelters, hospital and senior center are more than glad to accept your donations. Maybe you would like to add some color to your yard. I did that last year with a chair ready to go to the dump.  I’ve recycled it in my garden, using the seat to place potted herbs and added some crochet flowers.  I left them there throughout the summer and then removed them.   Continue reading “World Wide Knit and Crochet in Public”