This crochet pattern uses the crocodile stitch. The crochet scarf is worked horizontally then the long ends are seamed together to create a tube that shows off the crocodile stitch scales on all sides of the scarf. Finally, the short ends are crocheted together to create a unique infinity scarf.
This is an intermediate level crochet pattern. It requires knowledge of the crocodile crochet stitch, which is an advanced stitch, but there are no increases or other advanced shaping techniques required.
- Red Heart Super Saver Economy: 1 skein each Purple Tones A and Monet Print B
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8]
- Chain (ch)
- Slip stitch (slip st)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Crocodile Stitch (instructions in row 3)
Using color A, crochet a foundation chain of 153 stitches.
Row 1: Dc in 4th chain from hook (chain counts as first dc). Dc across entire row for a total of 151 dc stitches.
Row 2: Ch 3. Dc in base of ch 3. * Ch 1, skip 2, dc, ch 1, skip 2, 2 dc in same stitch. Repeat from * across row. Turn.
Row 3: Ch 1. Skip the first dc. Crocodile stitch across row:
- 5 back post double crochet (bpdc) around next dc, worked from the top down.
- Chain one.
- 5 dc post stitches around next dc, worked backwards (left to right under the stitch) from the bottom up.
- Slip st in next dc.
You will end with a crocodile scale so you will not do the final slip st at the very end of the row. Turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, slip st in center of first scale, ch 4, 2 dc in slip st, * ch 1, dc in center of scale, ch 1, 2 dc in next slip st. Repeat from * to end of row. Your final 2 dc will be worked into the dc stitch at the end of the row.
Row 5: Repeat Row 3.
Row 6: Repeat Row 4.
Row 7: Repeat Row 3.
You will now have three rows of crocodile scales. End off color A.
Join color B.
Row 8-13: Using color B, repeat rows 2-7.
Row 14: Chain 3. Dc in each stitch across for a total of 151 dc stitches. End off color B. Weave in all ends.
- Fold the work vertically so that the two long ends are touching each other and the crocodile stitches are facing outwards to be seen. Seam the two long ends together using slip st. This creates a tube.
- Fold the work again so that the two open ends of the tube are touching each other. Seam together using slip st, matching the Purple Tones to each other and the Monet Print colors to each other. Weave in any remaining ends.