Did you know that National Craft Month has become an international celebration? Created by the Craft & Hobby Association in 1994, it was designed to help people learn about and re-discover the joy of crafting and all its many benefits. It’s the perfect excuse to indulge in all things crafty.
Here are my Red Heart ideas for how we all can celebrate:
1. One of the best ways is to teach someone to knit. young, old, male, female—everyone can benefit from taking up knitting. Here’s an easy hat pattern that a beginner can start with.…or search for other beginner level free patterns.
Easy-Fit Ribbed Hat
2. Teach someone to Crochet. Here’s a beginner crochet pattern.
First Beret & Scarf
3. Finish one of those knit or crochet projects you have hiding in the closet. You’ll really feel like celebrating when it’s done.
4. Learn to do a new stitch or try a new yarn. Here’s a link to a video, “Learn to Knit with Red Heart Boutique Ribbons”. Boutique Ribbons is a new yarn that makes a glam scarf with just one ball. Search our many other videos, there are more techniques you may like to learn.
Lola’s Scarf Marietta’s Scarf
5. Take some time for yourself and enjoy a leisurely visit to a store. Need supplies or want to actually feel that new yarn up close? Visit your favorite craft store, or check out a new store and give yourself a gift of some new supplies to celebrate.
6. Enjoy seeing and sharing with other knitters and crocheters. Join an on-line group with people who enjoy yarn.
Good sites to check out:
Like us on Facebook and see what other yarnies are doing and talking about.
7. Collect ideas by browsing our free patterns at RedHeart.com and type what you would like to make in the search box. Save the patterns to your desktop or, if you are a Pinterest person, pin your favorites on a board with their number or name for future reference.
8. Start a group that gets together to knit or crochet….or everyone can just come and work on whatever craft they enjoy. Meet at a coffee shop or see if your library has a room to use. I’ve even seen people knitting in Panera Bread Bakery Cafe.
9. Think about gifts you want to make for celebrations all year long or actually get an early start on holiday gifts this year!
10. And the last and best way to celebrate is…Have a National Craft Month Party! Make it something fun like “Let’s Swap Stash” party, or have a “Sip-and-Stitch” party where everyone makes a cup cozy, then enjoys sipping out of a newly dressed up mug.
Owl Mug Wrap